Thursday, July 23, 2009

You are still breastfeeding???


Ahhh, yes, the question many of us often hear... coupled with "When are you planning to stop doing that?" or "Isn't that getting uncomfortable?" My answer tends to be the same "actually, even the American Medical Association has publicly recognized the benefits of breast feeding until 2 years of age" (my son turns 2 tomorrow.) That usually ends the conversation. But, maybe I should be continuing it. After all, with all of the great nursing gear our store offers (nursing covers, nursing clothing, and even easy-to-nurse-in baby carriers) who would want to quit!?
Actually, I recognize that plenty of mothers can not or do not want to breast feed for as long as I have chosen to. I respect that completely and understand that work, schedules, and even medical conditions can make the choice I have made impossible. However, I wish people would use the same understanding and acceptance of my decision as I have the decisions of others. As much as there are plenty of reasons moms can't or don't breast feed there children after a certain amount of time, there are TONS of reasons to prolong breast feeding as long as your child wants to nurse. At an age when my child is continously exposed to germs and sickness, I am continuing to give him great antibodies. Less sickness is enough reason for me! It also prolongs bonding and increases his feeling of security. Not to mention the influx of great vitamins to his developing body. He is also learning a lot about nurturing that he will hopefully pass on to his children. Just look at this great photo of him giving his dinosaur "Nah-nah" (the name he loving gave to breastmilk.)
In closing, lets support each other in whatever decisions we make in regards to raising our children. We all are coming from the same place, doing what is best for our kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment